The Picture House

The Picture House, 84-86 Spring Gardens, Buxton

(Demolished, Job Centre is now on the site)

Although there is no date to accompany this image, the film showing is “For Heaven’s Sake” starring Harold Lloyd which came out in 1926 and we can therefore assume this photograph was taken around then. Harold Lloyd was a huge star in the 20s, making over 200 films and ranking alongside Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. This show probably would have been a crowd puller. Listen to the clip above to hear about the cinema as it was in the 50s and 60s.

In 1937, the art deco style Spa Cinema replaced The Picture House and competed with Buxton Opera House, which was a cinema at the time. The building was eventually demolished in 1986.

Share your own memories or photos of this shop or others in the area, on our Facebook page, using the Twitter or Instagram hashtag #CITLbuxton or use the buttons below.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter